29 April, 2016 - NME.com
Police have confirmed that they are looking into the possibility that Prince died from an overdose.
The music icon passed away at his Paisley Park home in Minnesota last Thursday (April 21), aged 57.
After police officials confirmed that Prince was found with prescription drugs at the time of his death, it has now been confirmed that investigators are looking into whether Prince died from an overdose and whether he had been prescribed drugs in the weeks leading to his death.
The Associated Press reports that an unnamed law enforcement official confirmed on Thursday (April 28) that investigations were underway. The same individual also confirmed previous reports that Prince was found unconscious on a plane just days before his death.
TMZ has reported that the singer overdosed on the powerful painkiller Percocet five days before his death. According to them, Prince was admitted to a nearby hospital and given an emergency shot of the anti-overdose drug naloxone, before being discharged after three hours. It's been suggested that Prince was taking Percocet to alleviate hip problems.
However, police have denied reports that they have asked for help on the case from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
A warrant has also been granted to search Prince's Paisley Park home as part of the investigation.
Since his death, tributes to Prince have ranged far and wide with President Barack Obama stating "Today, the world lost a creative icon" and musicians including Madonna, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Frank Ocean, The Weeknd and Katy Perry leading the tributes.